Life & Family
“The new evangelization calls for followers of Christ who are unconditionally pro-life: who will proclaim, celebrate and serve the Gospel of life in every situation.”
– John Paul II, St. Louis, 1999
“All life has inestimable value even the weakest and most vulnerable, the sick, the old, the unborn and the poor, are masterpieces of God’s creation, made in his own image, destined to live forever, and deserving of the utmost reverence and respect.”
– Pope Francis, Message to Catholics at annual Day for Life in Britain & Ireland July 28, 2013
WHAT WE OFFER
The Office of Life & Family Ministry is the union of Respect Life Ministry and Family Life Ministry.
All these ministries are one – the Office of Life & Family Ministry is comprised of a number of efforts that protect and defend innocent human life at every stage, including pregnancy support, offerings of post-abortion outreach and healing programs, a variety of educational programs for all ages, programs for crisis pregnancies, support groups for separated & divorced, those who are widowed, and other counseling and support opportunities. All inquiries are confidential.
HELP IS HERE – NOW
For assistance or for more information on any of the programs, offerings, or counseling listed below, please feel free to contact Carol Owens, Life & Family Coordinator, at 401/421-7833, x 218, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Or call the diocesan Angel Helpline, 401/278-4508 – – available 24 hours/7 days a week; all calls confidential.
“PREGNANT, NEED HELP?”
Pregnant? Afraid? Need help? Need to talk?
Call the diocesan Angel Helpline, 401/278-4508 – – available 24 hours/7 days a week; all calls confidential. More helpful ministries below.
Hope and Healing After an Abortion
Call the diocesan Angel Helpline, 401/278-4508 – – available 24 hours/7 days a week. All calls confidential. More helpful ministries below.
Upcoming Programs Offered
- “Come to the Waters of Healing” – Project Rachel: A Day of Reflection, Saturday, June 13, 8:45 am to 5:00 pm
- “This is the Life” television programming schedule
- 40 Days for Life: “Faithful Fridays” Vigils
Winter/Spring 2014-15 Offerings
- 4th Annual Pastoral Care Fundraiser, Sat., April 11, 2015
- 40 Days for LIfe Lenten Campaign 2015 – Wed., Feb. 18 thru Palm Sunday, March 29
- Tues., Feb. 24th – PORN: 7 Myths Exposed – 6:30 to 8:30pm, Bishop McVinney Auditorium, Providence. FREE presentation with national speaker, Matt Fradd of the Chastity Project. For students in grade 8 – adults. More.
- Fri. to Sun., March 13, 14 & 15 and Fri. to Sun., October 16, 17 & 18 – Rachel’s Vineyard Post-Abortion Retreat Weekends 2015 – more.
- To Love & To Cherish Support Group – 2015 Meeting Schedule, here.
- The Carpenter’s Workshop Support Group – for adult men impacted by abortion.
- RI Catholic Hour TV February 2015: Five new programs featuring the Human Life Guild Day guest speakers – This is the Life TV Show listing.
- Fri., Jan. 9th through Sun., Feb. 1st – Visit with Missionary Image of Our Lady of Guadalupe – Complete listing of dates, locations and times, here.
- Sat., Jan. 17th – Annual Mass for Life, “An Invitation to Pray for All Human Life,” St. Paul Church, Cranston, with Bishop Tobin. More here.
- Sun., Jan. 18th thru Mon., Jan. 26th – Nine Days for Life – Prayer, Penance, Pilgrimage – here.
- Thurs., Jan. 22nd – Annual Bus Trip to the March for Life in Washington, DC, on the 42nd Anniversary of the Supreme Court decision to legalize abortion. More.
- Thu., Jan. 22nd, 2015 – Day with Our Lady, here.
- Fri., Jan. 23, 2015: Prayer Vigil in Observance of Life – Flyer, here.
Fall 2014 Offerings
- Sat., Sept. 20th – 40 Days for Life Kick-Off Rally
- Wed., Sept. 24th thru Sun., Nov. 2nd – 40 Days for Life Fall Campaign
- Sat., Sept. 27th – Bishop Tobin’s 10th Annual Human Life Guild Day
- Fri., Oct. 3rd – Feast of St. Francis Environmental Forum
- RESPECT LIFE SUNDAY -Sun., Oct. 5th -Life Chain Sunday. Life Chain Schedule here.
- Wed., Oct. 15th thru Tues., Oct. 21st – Visitation of Our Lady of Fatima. Visitation Schedule, here.
- Fri., Oct. 17th thru Sun., Oct. 19th – Rachel’s Vineyard Retreat Weekend, for anyone hurting after abortion
- Sun., Nov. 2nd – Final Prayer Vigil for 40 Days for Life
- Thurs., Nov. 13, 2014 – – Holy Hour: One Life, One Rose – Our Lady of Guadalupe Silver Rose (a Knights of Columbus Program, hosted by the Human Life Guild Board)
- SAVE THE DATE: Thurs., January 22nd, 2015 – Annual Diocese of Providence Office of Life & Family Ministry Bus Trip to “March for Life” in DC. Learn more.
More Life & Family program info
- PREGNANT? The Gabriel Project provides help and support for mothers and their unborn babies. More.
- September 2014 e-Newsletter
- Education Programs for 2014-15
- Be an ‘Angel’ – volunteer for the Angel Help Line & be there for someone in need
- Support Moms & Babies in need – have a Baby Shower!
- Need help? – Pastoral Care Ministries
- Time for healing – Post-Abortion Ministries
- Our Lady of Sorrows Bereavement Support Group Program – Meeting Schedule 2014
For more information or a confidential consultation on any of the offerings above, please call, 401.421.7833, x 218 or 401.278.4508.
Programs ranging from God’s Gift of Life to End of Life.
The Gabriel Project – help for mothers and their unborn babies
Need help? This parish-based program works with women and families facing a pregnancy – including problem pregnancies – delivering much-needed support in many forms, as well as sharing a message of hope. The Project Gabriel message is a profound commitment, not only to the unborn, but also to their mothers. More.
The Elizabeth Ministry
The Elizabeth Ministry is a parish-based outreach to women in special times of motherhood. This ministry affirms, supports, encourages and assists women in need during their childbearing years.
This program is scripturally-grounded in the relationship between the Blessed Virgin Mary and her cousin Elizabeth (the Visitation passage). More.
MEDICALLY CHALLENGED PREGNANCY?
My Child…My Gift
This support program assists those parents whose children are diagnosed with a medical challenge or diagnosed with an ailment while in the mother’s womb. More.
CRISIS PREGNANCY COUNSELING
Offers a pregnant or parenting woman and her family the opportunity to review options and receive parenting support prior to and/or after the birth of the child. More.
Post-Abortion Ministry Outreach and healing programs for women and men affected by abortion – Learn more –
- Project Rachel
- Rachel’s Vineyard Retreats (weekend)
- Healing the Wounded Heart Support Group
- Individual counseling
END OF LIFE
End of Life Issues/The Catholic Perspective
Though most people prefer not to think about their own mortality and inevitable passage to the unknown, it is the door to eternity. Nonetheless, there are dimensions that ought to be faced because one’s last days, weeks, or even months could depend on choices and medical directives made while a person is healthy – or not made, leaving one’s fate in the hands of strangers. More.
Social Work Support
Provides a wide spectrum of support to individuals and families, includes support programs(see list below), marriage evaluations, clinical consultation/support.
Crisis Pregnancy Counseling: Offers a pregnant or parenting woman and her family the opportunity to review options and receive parenting support prior to or after the birth of the child.
Separated & Divorced Support Group: An opportunity to share with others who have similar life experiences. Groups provided throughout Rhode Island, and facilitators receive training prior to initiating a group.
Bereavement Support Group: An opportunity to share their grief with others with spiritual support and comfort.
Marriage Strengthening: A discussion group to address topics that strengthen the sacramental journey of marriage.
Counseling: Referrals to therapists and physicians whose therapeutic basis offers a Catholic/Christian perspective.
Human Life Guild
The Respect Life Office falls under the umbrella of the Human Life Guild, an organization that Bishop Thomas J. Tobin founded in the Diocese of Providence in fall of 2005. The purpose of the organization is to encourage membership of those who are willing to accept the invitation to be “People of Life,” to have an unconditional commitment to human life and to be willing to promote and defend human life at every stage, in every condition, through thought, word, deed and prayer. There are four major areas of the Pastoral Plan for Pro-Life Activities, under which the Human Life Guild is implemented, as instituted by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops: Education, Pastoral Care, Public Policy, and Prayer. More.
While The Roman Catholic Diocese of Providence no longer provides adoption services, please click on the “Adoption” link above for more information about adoption in Rhode Island. More.
A number of educational programs are offered through this office for all ages, including, but not limited to, the topics of chastity, God’s Gift of Life I & II, Talkin’ About Drugs and Alcohol, Choose Life, Chastity-The Way to True Love, Mixed Up By Media, Poverty Hits Home, Circles of Peace, He’s Got the Whole World In His Hands, Who’s Under Your Carbon Footprint?, and more, including disability awareness, living the Gospel of Life, end of life issues, and all life-related issues.
Caring for Creation
Rhode Island individuals and congregations are invited to engage in various initiatives focused on caring for creation and the poor. More.
You are invited to click here to learn more about the Diocesan-produced television program ’This is the Life’.
Please click here to subscribe for the office’s free electronic newsletter
For the latest events – including Human Life Guild , Educational offerings, The Gabriel Project, Post-Abortion, Respect Life Masses, Bereavement Support & more – please visit the the Diocesan home page or the Rhode Island Catholic website.
Write for Life
Speak for the unborn and make sure their plea is heard in the media and before elected officials. Are you willing to give a voice to the unborn? More.
Carol Owens, Director
Education and Outreach
Peter A. Magnotta, Licensed Social Worker (MSW)
Paola Lois, Education Coordinator
The Gabriel Project Assistant
Angel Helpline, 401/278-4508 – – available 24 hours/7 days a week. All calls confidential.
One Cathedral Square
Providence, RI 02903